ANST - BELTLESS PEERS

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Tue Nov 2 00:03:37 PST 1999

Dear people I am one of those Pelicans that think official Protege are
unnecessary.
1. I see no reasons to link a fellow politician to my politics.  I get
into enough trouble.
2. I don't want to be responsible for someone else politics. Any true
candidate for a Pelican is knee deep in their own stuff.
3. The pathway to a Pelican has usually taken about 10 years. The need
for my guidance would be for a max of 3. I think it is unfair to put
someone in a Junior position for that long. I would not want anyone to
stand in my shadow.
4. When I look for Pelican I am looking for someone who stands and thinks
on their own. Seeing someone who was a protege makes me wonder who is
doing the thinking.
5. I have seem the system be mistreated. In some kingdoms the squire,
apprentice and protege are used as work horses. People are given the
impression that by sucking up to a peer they will be paid off with
peerage. I have seen good people mislead  by this concept and waste their
time. They would had done better to follow their own projects.
6. I burn out proteges. Everyone I had ever make a official protege has
left the SCA and or kingdom. I do have undercover proteges  and half of
my apprentices have become Pelicans.
Willow de Wisp