ANST - Pre-Christian Irish poem

jruble jruble at napa-bbi.com
Tue Nov 2 11:28:35 PST 1999

So I ran out to the car during lunch to grab the book. (It's amazing what
SCA people have floating around their cars...)  This book is "Ancient
Irish Tales" copyright 1936 by Henry Holt & Co., edited by Tom Peete Cross
and Clark Harris Slover, and republished in 1996 by Barnes & Noble.  It
doesn't give the name of the translators.  The passage is from the section
"The Book of Invasions".

The passage is the song spoke by Amergin White-Knee, the bard whose face
still appears on Irish money.  It was spoken on the occasion of Eremon
landing with his thirty ships at Inber Colptha.  The sons of Mil had
landed earlier at Inber Scene, where Amergin's wife Scene was buried,
having died during the crossing.  They met with the Tuatha de Danann at
Tara, and demanded a battle, or kingship, or a judgement.  The three kings
there asked Amergin to pass judgement, and his judgement was that the land
would be left to the Tuatha de Danaan until the sons of Mil returned to
take it by force, having passed over nine waves.  The sons of Mil returned
to their ships and set sail, while druids on both sides began a weather
battle, each trying to sink or save the ships.  Amergin proved the victor
in that battle, and they landed in two groups.  It was here that Amergin
speaks this poem.

The translation I have is a little different than the one you quote,
enough so that I will include part of it.

Who clears the stone-place of the mountain?
What the place in which the setting of the son lies?
Who has sought peace without fear seven times?
Who names the waterfalls?
Who brings his cattle from the house of Tethra?
What person, what god,
Forms weapons in a fort?
In a fort that nourishes satirists,
Chants a petition, divides the Ogam letters,
Separates a fleet, has sung praises?
A wise satirist.

Ulf Gunnarsson, a not-so-wise satirist...