ANST - Re: Training Everybody?

C.L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Wed Nov 3 07:22:55 PST 1999

Her Grace Duchess Willow said:
>Maybe it would be better if there were no associates and we
>spent all our time training everybody.

I must respectfully disagree.  There is no way we can train everybody.  For
starters, we can only train those who wish to be trained.

There are plenty of people with the attitude of "To Hel with having authentic
gear, or doing things in a period manner.  I'll wear the funny clothes (barely,
I'm doing no more than T-trunic and sweats and tennis shoes!) so I can drink,
fight, and chase women/men".  The SCA as an organization makes a place for these
folks, regardless of how the authenticity buffs may feel about the matter.
And since these folks don't put value on learning, you can't train them -- "pearls
before swine" as my grandmother would have said.

There is also the issue of facilities for training.  It's simply not possible
to productively cram more than two students into my shop, for example, to teach
bone carving -- the equipment and the room are limited.  Those whose arts require
hot glass, torches, forges, power tools, etc. will have similar restrictions
on the portability and facilities fronts.  These artists can't train "everybody"
-- only those who are serious about wanting to learn their arts to the degree
that they can make appointments to come learn, and will travel to the facilities
to use them.

The last issue is the fact that not everybody is cut out to teach.  *In theory*
we select all our peers (at least in part) for their ability to teach.  In reality,
peers are made by Crowns for all sorts of reasons, sometimes against the advice
of the Circle in question.  Even of the peers acclaimed by their Circles, not
all peers are co-equal as teachers.  Some people can teach one-on-one.  Others
like to lecture to large halls packed with note-taking students.  Some people
can't teach well to save their life, but they try.

Personally, from my years as a student, I prefer learning from the teachers
who are good at teaching.  I can and will pry information out of a knowledgable
person who is not a good teacher, but especially for "training the masses" we
want our best teachers taking these roles.  Having worked as a professional
technical trainer, I can tell you that a good teacher can often teach classes
that they are not expert in, to much greater effect than the subject-matter
expert.  Perhaps some of those peers who don't like teaching, or who are not
particularly good at it, could consider teaming up with another peer who is
better at teaching and either learn teaching skills (training the trainer) or
else the good teacher can assist them in teaching.

But don't assume that having "associates" -- be they squire, protege, or apprentice
-- means that we don't teach others as well. I have apprentices.  Some wish
to "grow up" to be Laurels, others do not.  Some just want to do art. Some want
help getting organized and motivated.  Despite having these apprentices, I am
available to teach what I know.  I think I answered something on the order of
420 questions about the Vikings last month via email, and possibly "one or two"
in person as well.  Plus I've made the offer all across the kingdom to help
people with documentation, which an occasional person takes me up on. Plus the
Alexandrian Symposia every year, plus frequent appearances at Kings College.
 But then, I *like* to teach.

The answer is not to get rid of squires, proteges, and apprentices.  Nor can
we penalize those teachers whose arts are not portable, or who themselves are
not the perfect teacher.  And I suppose it's not fair to scorn those who don't
want to learn.

I prefer to make my knowledge available, and have those who are interested come
to me for it.  It doesn't train everybody, but it does enough.

::GUNNORA::