ANST -Patent of Arms

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Tue Nov 2 02:01:37 PST 1999

Hi I know I am late in answering this question. Duke Jonathan and I were
the crown that decided not to include a Patent with the Rose. We did a
poll of the kingdoms that gave Patents with the Rose and discovered that
a number of them had at one time or another refused to give a Patent to
an ex-queen because they felt that she did not act like a peer. Many
times this seemed to be just nasty politics. The Queen stepping  down is
often punished for what the King did,  A Queen has a special place in our
dreams. She is supposed to be the paradigm of courtesy. People develop a
special place in their hearts for "their Queen"  It upsets people to have
"their queen" treated badly. Also because queens are special ex-queens
are suppose to behave better than the rest of the people.  It looks very
bad for "Queens"  to be impolite to each other.  While we hoped our
kingdom would never fall to that level we decided to take "the peer" out
of The Rose  and make it automatic so we would not tempted to act badly.

When we were writing our first laws the BOD told us at the time that they
were doing away with the simple patent. They wanted all patents to be
linked to an order. Kingdoms that had the custom of giving a patent to
the crowns that stepped down were allowed to keep that custom but since
we were just beginning we didn't have that custom. It was implied that
they did not wish to see that in our laws. Jonathan and I talked this
over with our advisors and the general feeling was that the title you
got as an ex king and queen was enough award. Most Ansteorrans, at that
time, felt if you had done something special then you deserve a Pelican
for your work. Just giving a person a peerage for sitting on the throne
seemed like rewarding them twice.

In this kingdom the people have respected the Crowns deeply. We have
earned that respect with hard work and it is more of an honor than any
amount of paper rewards. Getting a pretty scroll saying you have a Patent
means nothing. Having the people trust and believe in you means
everything. I was at a Inter kingdom with Calintir when I was Crown
Princess and that night the belly dancers got up and His Majesty Inman
started to dance. All the Ansteorran cheered and clapped. Afterward the
king of Calintir ask His Majesty how he get away with that and still have
people respect him.  His Majesty looked a little confused and stated "It
because I am the King."

Willow de Wisp