ANST - BELTLESS PEERS

Ladyarabella ladyarabella at home.com
Tue Nov 2 10:45:57 PST 1999

Her Grace Willow said:
> > 3. The pathway to a Pelican has usually taken about 10 years. The need
> > for my guidance would be for a max of 3. I think it is unfair to put
> > someone in a Junior position for that long. I would not want anyone to
> > stand in my shadow.

Master Petruccios said

small snippage

> Granted, a protégé is a student, but I would consider them more of my
> "second" than my "junior".  Odds are, they have skills that I do not have.
> Odds are, they are going to teach me just as much as I teach them.  If
> not, I would not have chosen them to be my retainer.  My job is to guide
> those skills to successfully interface with this nebulous thing we call
the
> Society.
>
> Where I may consider my shadow great (especially if I've been drinking:)),
> I would hope that my protégé's shadow would be greater than mine.
> If it wasn't, I would feel I had done something wrong.  I certainly
> would expect them at least to be noticed and not eclipsed by me
> after three years.
>
> "I reach to touch the stars only because I stand upon
> the shoulders of giants".

I am very proud to be connected with my Pelican/Knight.  I've said it before
and I will say it again..."My job is to make him look good."  I can do that
physically, (I make some of his garb) but I can also do it by behaving in a
way that benefits the Kingdom.  I worked very hard for 8 months on ATYC,
many times hours a day, behind the scenes, so he could pull off a great
event.  Now I'm not under his watchful eye or his shadow..... Doing yet
another Coronation.  (This one will be a cake walk)

But I also know he will hear every good thing and bad thing that is said
about how that event is put together. It is still my job to make him look
good.  My being of service to the Kingdom we both love, will make him look
good as my mentor.   Don't get me wrong I like doing what I do... I feel
like I'm putting together a really big party... that's where I get my
enjoyment, gratification, satisfaction, good feelies, etc... watching other
people have a great time.  and knowing I tried to coordinate things to run
smoothly.

So being in Galen's shadow is a great thing... but I also will develop my
own shadow.  And I'll still make him look Good!

Arabella de Montacute
Protege to Galen of Bristol
Steward of Winter Coronation 2000