ANST - RE: ANST - RE: ANST - RE: ANST - Protégés

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Wed Nov 3 04:56:22 PST 1999

> When I was in other kingdoms than Ansteorra I saw situations in those
> kingdom that suggested that the only way you could get a
> peerage was to
> be an associate of a peer. In this kingdom we have always
> maintained that
> you could get a peerage as your own man. You did not have to
> wear a belt.

And that is the way that it should be.  People should rise and
fall upon their own merits.  There should be no politics involved.

> As we have moved toward the SCA norm more and more  peers are only
> training and teaching those who they think have potential.
> Very few are
> willing to train the general populous. Their associate take
> up all their
> time.  Maybe it would be better if there were no associates
> and we spent
> all our time training everybody.
> Willow

That is contrary to my personal experience.  Yes, there are Peers
that do that.  The vast majority that I have run across will teach
anyone who asks, either formally or informally.  Granted, seldom
do Peers go out seeking these situations because--ta dah--the are
doing those thing that made them Peers to begin with.  Many are
not gregarious extroverts.

If what you state is indeed the case, then the majority of the
events within the Knowne World would only be autocratted by protégés.
That is by far not the case.  So that training has to be coming
from somewhere.

Myself, if some feel that they do not want associates, great--
I am glad that works for you.  On the other side, those people should
not assume that they know works for me.  I am more than happy
to let those who dislike protégés not to take them.  On the other
hand, I will teach all and take those few who may need one-on-one
instruction. Both ideas will either rise or fall upon their merits
in the real world.  In the end--actions speak louder than words.

Petruccio