ANST - Gold of the Nomads: Scythian Treasures from Ancient Ukraine

C.L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Fri Nov 5 09:18:40 PST 1999

Cousins, we have a unique opportunity to visit some amazing artifacts.  And even
more astounding, San Antonio got the exhibit first of anywhere.  The Scythian
exhibit will feature some newly excavated artifacts so new they haven't been
published yet!

If you've ever seen the Yuk tribe, here's the source of much of the inspiration
for the costuming and art.

Gold of the Nomads: Scythian Treasures from Ancient Ukraine
November 7, 1999 - January 30, 2000
San Antonio Museum of Art 210/978-8100

The official website of the exhibit is:
http://www.sa-museum.org/scythian.html

A major exhibition of ancient gold treasures of the Scythians, the fierce nomadic
horsemen who roamed the European steppe from the fifth to the third centuries
B.C., will come to the United States for the first time in over two decades.
These proud marauders, who grew rich on trade with the Greeks, were patrons
of some of the finest Greek goldsmiths, and commissioned lavish gold objects
for adornment, ceremony and battle. Many of the objects included in this show
were only recently unearthed and will be seen for the first time outside Ukraine.

Publication: The pioneering character of the exhibition will be reflected in
a 352-page volume published by Abrams, edited by Dr. Ellen Reeder, curator of
ancient art at The Walters, and designed by Alex Castro.

UTSA is simultaneously hosting a lecture series to complement the exhibit:

This Fall, the Brackenridge Distinguished Visiting Professorship Program brings
Dr. Esther Jacobson-Tepfer, the Maude I. Kerns Professor of Asian Art at the
University of Oregon. Dr. Jacobson-Tepfer will present "Refleshing Scythian
Bones, I: Myth, Archaeology, and History" on Thursday, November 11 at 7:30 p.m.
in the San Antonio Museum of Art Auditorium, 200 W. Jones Avenue, San Antonio.
On Friday, November 12 at 2:00 p.m., Dr. Tepfer will present "Refleshing Scythian
Bones II: Seeking the Sources of a Tradition" in the UTSA Regents Room, JPL
4.03.12 at the1604 campus.

::GUNYUK::