ANST - The Origins of Spam

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sun Nov 14 20:04:01 PST 1999

Here is the letter of explanation from Sofi:

In a message dated 11/13/1999 9:52:52 AM Central Standard Time,
sofi at flink.com writes:

<< I can't post to the Rialto for some reason. Could you please post this
sopeople will have an explanation from me? After much thought, I think
Ishould give an explanation of what went on.

 Kindly,
 Sofi

 Explanation:

 I felt compelled to apologize to everyone and give an explanation.
 I am so very embarrassed that I hardly slept last night.

 I had no clue these guys were doing this. They are very energizedstudents
working on a semester project. They're very ambitious and reallythink the SCA
is a neat thing going on.

 It really was an innocent survey. The local university (BradleyUniversity)
near where I live offers a marketing class for seniors andthey have to do a
marketing project on a real life company to graduate.

 The university called me and asked if I would help them out and be thereal
life company. (Their original company had backed out only four hoursbefore
their project was to begin. The canceling company was aunion-labor management
organization, so when they got medieval clothesand heard about the SCA, these
guys got super excited andenthusiastic.)

 I had no idea the students would spam anyone. I don't think they knewwhat
they were doing. I called them and asked them what did they thinkthey were
doing. They said they didn't think their survey was spam. Theyare very sorry
and said most people didn't mind it at all.

 They have agreed to not do anything else unless they ask me first.
Theirclass is over this semester.

 Again, I did not know that they were going to do this. They ask for
yourforgiveness if they bothered you.

 On the good side, they all think the SCA is really cool and maybe willjoin
up. Maybe, we'll get a half-more dozen eager members who are wildabout the
middle ages.

 My e-mail is Sofi at flink.com.

 Kindly,
 Sofi