ANST - FWD: [Re: [IR} Young Liar]

Mike Andrews mikea at okc-250-198.mmcable.com
Sat Nov 20 09:01:05 PST 1999

Michael Silverhands wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:17:14 -0600
> From: Michael Tucker <michaelt at neosoft.com>
> Subject: Re: ANST - Fwd: [Re: [IR] Young Liar]
>
> This type of thing seems to be very common in the SCA. When Patrick Michael
> Gordonne and Julia de Montoya were King and Queen of Ansteorra (their third
> reign, I think), one of their young sons got in trouble at school for "lying".
> Same song, different verse: his teachers asked him what his mommy and daddy did,
> and he told them they were the King and Queen, and his daddy was a Knight. Well,
> of course that _couldn't_ be true, so straight to the principal's office they
> went. A couple of "parent-teacher conferences" cleared everything up, but I bet
> this has happened to a lot of crowns with young children.
>
> It's funny in a way, but it's also sad that teachers are so used to hearing
> fabrications that they assume an improbable story is false until proven otherwise.

And then there's the friend whose 7-year-old boy cut school and was
walking from his schoolbus stop to downtown Santa Fe when the cops
picked him up. They returned him to the school, where questioning
elicited the answer that he was "going to see the King". No SCA
connection, BTW. Juan Carlos was in town for the 500th anniversary
of the founding of Santa Fe; the family was hosting a Spanish
exchange student, who was invited with his host family, and little
Brian didn't get to go because of school. But it took a LOT of
convincing to disabuse the school staff of the idea that Brian
was lying.

--
Mike Andrews / Michael Fenwick (remember me?)
Namron, Ansteorra