ANST - BELTLESS PEERS

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Tue Nov 2 17:59:15 PST 1999

Dear Master Petruccio
 You have a lot of good points and we can agree to disagree but there is
one thing I would ague with you. The term politics is defined in Social
Science as the way people interact to get things done. Any time two or
more people interact they have to use some form of politics.  It is a
fault in our culture to be so afraid of the term "politics" that we are
always coming up with new terms. For example I am a civil servant who
gets things done rather than a politician.  If we face the fact that we
do politics then we can start talking about which forms of politics we do
not like. What techniques cause more harm than good.
Yes, knights are political. They hold the reins to the power in our
kingdom. More than likely one of them will be on the throne. They should
be taught to handle that power wisely. Laurels are political  but their
art fields are not necessary political but their job as peers causes them
to be political.  But a Pelican is a special beast. It is someone who can
get things done and still live up to the ideals of a peer. There are
many political techniques that are not fit for a true peer to used. I am
a student of small group politics and  it doesn't matter if you are going
for power and prestige or a goal you can cause lots of damage if you use
techniques that harm people. Because people do not take the time to study
the ways and means of politic they often make big mistakes.

Willow