ANST - Peerages

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Nov 3 05:25:15 PST 1999

Patrick Cuccurello (pat at adtelusa.com) said something that sounded like:
> > When I was in other kingdoms than Ansteorra I saw situations in those
> > kingdom that suggested that the only way you could get a
> > peerage was to
> > be an associate of a peer. In this kingdom we have always
> > maintained that
> > you could get a peerage as your own man. You did not have to
> > wear a belt.
> And that is the way that it should be.  People should rise and
> fall upon their own merits.  There should be no politics involved.

Although it *should* be that way, is Ansteorra moving away from it?

Looking at recent peers (ala 5 years ago vs the last year) shows a
dramatic difference in those people who are students of a Peer being
elevated. Although this is more the case for the Chivalry and the
Laurels, even the Pelicans are moving that way. Just this reign, at
least 2 of the Pelicans made were proteges.

There are 2 sides of this coin.

The first is that more people are becoming students to learn from
"Masters" thus more are being elevated.

The second is that more people have students, so they show them off
more. With as many students being watched, it makes the list rather long
for "them" to watch non-students.

>From both of these unfortunately comes the outsider view that to become
a Peer, you have to be a student. It is not because of politics or a
hard rule. It is because of the sheer number of students already in
existance and being watched for elevation.

As long as there are people willing to watch and encourage those people
who are non-students, hopefully it will not become a rule as opposed to
a simple side-effect.

Ciao,