ANST - life during the droughts

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Nov 11 16:15:52 PST 1999

On 11 Nov 99, at 18:24, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> > Greetings from Baroness Xene,
> >
> > Wonderful questions, 'wolf!!!  Thank you for asking them.
>
> I happen to agree with both Blackwolf and Baroness Xene. And for those
> who think that these fire dangers are being overplayed, despite several
> examples given by Baroness Xene and Baroness Ulrike, check these reports
> about Pennsic in the PENNSIC section of my Florilegium:

perhaps they would pay more attention if the warnings were given by folk burned
or disfigured by the careless / irresponsible use of fire?  of maybe landowners
who have lost house or property to camper caused wild fires ???

most view fire as necessary "theatric dressing", with little thought given to
safety or possible dangers.  which is better, thinking about it before there is
a incident and possibly preventing it, or after the fact during damage control?

face it, most SCAdians are urban, city dwellers without the day-day exposure to
fire and its dangers that our ancestors faced on a daily basis (i remind myself
of this whenever i deal with fire in any form ...)...  magnify this several
fold when you have children running loose often with minimal "fire sense"

saw something in my outdoor catalogs along these lines that sent a shiver
through the common sense part of my nature.  many are familiar with the "safe"
(assumed) camping candle lanterns (metal body, candle enclosed in glass) and
think nothing about hanging them inside their tents (always a bad idea - they
leak wax, they can ignite fabric or burn skin  ... and leaving them unattended,
a totally stupid one).  now there's a cheap conversion kit that turns these
things into minataure oil lamps.  sadly it's only a matter of time that they
start showing up at events. and since they assume the candles are safe for
inside use, the conversion is also safe ....*not*

pity one can't enforce common sense on the masses .... about as useful as
trying to "teach a pig to sing" (if anyone is familiar with that quote ...)

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)