ANST - School and SCA Teens

Aline Swynbrook alineswynbrook at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 16:27:25 PST 1999

First off, I am fairly (okay totally) inactive, but I
egt to start doing meetings at least in Dec.  Huzzah.

Anyways, true story.  No kidding, there I was....

I have been in love with all things period for many
years now, and espescially the literature.  I own more
medieval/renaissance literature than my school
library.  So I have read Beowulf at least three times.
 Well, the way my school is, First Hour AP English Lit
and Comp is taught by one teacher (we'll call her Mrs.
X) and 2nd and 4th hour by another, (Mrs. W).  Well,
We go into the Anglo-Saxon and connected Literature
section, featuring Beowulf and John Garnder's Grendel.
 Well, I have read Beowulf before.  The idea behind
Grendel intrigued me, so I read ti twice.

Now, Mrs. X is a bit...neurotic.  so when she heard
rumors that Mrs. W's 2 hour was telling 4 hour the
test question for the AP quizs.  Sure enough, one
student in the 4 hr class breaks the curve both times.
 So, Mrs. X marches down to Mrs. W's room and accuses
her student of cheating.  This is a summation, non
verbatum, of Mrs. W's response.

"Mrs. X, do you know my student, Rebecca?  Let me tell
you about her.  She started reading Shakespeare in the
fifth grade.  She reads medieval romantic poetry for
fun.  She's taking Latin in hopes of reading Heloise
and Abelard in the original.  She knows more about
Anglo Saxon poetry and Literature than I do.  She know
the history better then most teachers in the school.
She's a card carrying creative anachronist. (My friend
anounced this to the class when Mrs. W asked why I
studied as I do.)  I think you need to accept that
your kids just aren't as smart as mine."

I bet it really got her goat when I broke the curve on
Hamlet and the Canterbury Tales as well.  Wait til my
three austen fanatic friends get a hold of Pride and
Predjudice.

Aline, Who got Student of the month, aced two tests
and a quiz, and got out of school early, all in one day.