ANST - Punch Out Laurels?

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Oct 4 13:56:00 PDT 1999

Mistress Gunnora mentioned:

> In Isobel Hadleigh's case, she's doing amazing work in stained glass.  But what
> a lot of people don't see is that she also is an excellent researcher, and has
> put together some fantastic work on the history of our period, including her
> interesting research on the Roaring Girls.
>
> Research, when shared via articles in SCA publications, or as research papers
> submitted in A&S competitions, or circulated by hand to people in the SCA, all
> have the ability to spread knowledge to others within the Society, and hence
> fulfill some of the requirement that a Laurel-to-be must teach.  In addition,
> the Circle regards research as a valid artform in and of itself, which is largely
> why I am a Laurel.
>
> In Isobel's case, she just needs to get her research out and get it seen.  It's
> a harder task, since no one oohs and aahhs over a research paper, no matter
> how you present it -- and the stained glass panels have a way of distracting
> one from anything else in the vicinity.  And it's harder yet to get people,
> including Laurels, to read research, unless they're a research geek like me.

I'm afraid I can't be a lot of help in some of the areas that Mistess Gunnora
mentioned, but in this one area perhaps I can offer some help. And those of
you who are artisans and researchers can help the Society.

I am always looking for good articles and annotated bibliographies to add to
the Florilegium. There are currently over 1200 files in the Florilegium with
more being added all the time. While most of these are files that I have
created from messages I have seen on the nets, an increasing number are
articles submitted by their authors. The author keeps the copyright and I
will update or remove articles upon request of the author.

These articles range all the way from short articles for newsletters to
a Master's thesis.

Mistress Nicolaa credits her having her articles in the Florilegium and
at other sites with helping her get her Laurel in the Middle Kingdom.

So, please consider writing up an article on the arts you have been doing
and submitting it to the Florilegium. If you are thinking about trying an
art that is new to you, I also think the Florilegium might be a good place
to start your research. By building upon the research of others we can all
progress the arts practiced in the Society that much further.

Lord Stefan li Rous
Ansteorra
stefan at texas.net

PS: My Florilegium is located on the web at:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~lg_photo/florilegium/