ANST - Costuming in Considering Laurels?

C.L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Mon Oct 4 09:59:50 PDT 1999

Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne said:
>One interesting thing that tended to permeate An Tir Laurel
>circles (in my inexpert opinion, just running the meeting)
>was that there seemed to be a need for some element
>of costuming involved--musicians got comments about
>their costuming from costuming Laurels, for example.
>I don't know if that's current SOP.

It's hard to convince people that the scraggly rag-bag sitting there in the
ratty T-tunic and tennis shoes is really a person with the bearing of a peer
and master-level arts. Moreover, the populace I think expects peers and nobles
to more or less look like peers and nobles.

Not every Laurel is going to be a bang-up costumer (lord knows I am not) --
but they can sure trade their work for clothes, and they should know what looks
good. I am not talking here about the clothes you wear while setting up camp
on Friday, or while you're tearing down on Sunday, rather the clothes you wear
when people see you, especially in arts venues, but also in court, or during
the tournament, etc.

You'll find that people who are Laurel candidates who are also apprentices have
their Laurel telling them to "dress for success" -- if you look the part, it's
easier to get people to believe in you.

Part of it is a "sales problem" -- if they look ratty, how can their work be
any good?  But part of it is that "bearing of a peer" we always talk about.

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva, OL