ANST - Some rapier history Oops! Tivar is right!

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Tue Oct 5 15:46:13 PDT 1999

Oops!!
I am afraid that Master Tivar was right. Jonathan came home and cleared
things up.
First there had been no "official" rules in Ansteorra under Atenvelt.
Ansteorra had create rules but they had never been signed by the King of
Atenvelt or the Earl Marshal of Atenvelt. Jonathan believes that Sir
Dennis of the Titans who was the Earl Marshall at the time did not
allowed them. Therefore the rules that we were using were not legal. We
could get away with that because we were so far away and didn't care what
Atenvelt thought.  The first Legal rules were those signed by his Grace
as King of Ansteorra and Sir Karl as Earl Marshal of Ansteorra. It was
these rules that got them into trouble.

The thing that got me confused was the Principality award honoring light
weapons fighters. This award was the Principality's version of the White
Scarf. This was the first award for rapier fighting.  Prince Simon and
Princess Tessa created the award but King Jonathan de Laufyson was the
Aten king who approved it. Remember all awards have to be signed by the
king. Master Tivar was the first member of the Principality's award and
when Jonathan and I , as first King and Queen , set up the White Scarfs
we made him the first White Scarf and so maintained the order as created
by Simon and Tessa. We had to change part of the name to make the heralds
happy but it was one of the few orders that were carried over to the
Kingdom of Ansteorra and owes it origin to Sir Simon and Mistress Tessa.

 Willow
(with egg on her face)