[ANST - Texas Assoc. of Living History...]

Keith Hood hoodkl at netscape.net
Wed Oct 6 14:26:00 PDT 1999

"Katherine E. Neustadt" <kae1 at ou.edu> wrote:
> >Some of the goals of the association would be:
> >1) The representation of the members, as a whole,

--- lot of stuff snipped ---

> I can't remember correctly, can Burke help?  Isn't this against Corpora?
> Catelin

I just took a quick read through the Corpora, and I can't see anything in
there that I consider forbidding working with the proposed TALHR.  I suppose
the first specification in Kingdom law describing the function of the
Seneschal could be interpreted to mean that the Seneschal is responsible for
all coordination with government entities.  In any case, the First Amendment
to the Constitution of the United States of America states that all Americans
have the right to free speech.  Corpora and kingdom law can't infringe on
that.

I would say that if anyone in the kingdom wants to get involved in this
matter, they have the freedom to do so.  But, for the sake of the kingdom they
should make sure everyone knows they are expressing their own individual
thoughts.  If only for the sake of propriety, nobody should represent
themselves as SCA or Ansteorran representatives unless they have been formally
recognized as such.

I agree with the thoughts expressed in the original message that was forwarded
by Sir Kief.  If the SCA doesn't have people involved in working out how the
TPWD sets up its usage guidelines, then any concerns we may have in this
matter may not be represented.  (Just for interest, anyone know who were the
"reenactors" involved in the original discussion earlier this year?)  There
may be no big problem with the discussions, but I think it would be a real
good idea to go and see, just in case.  After all, as the original message
pointed out, people need to get involved in government business if we are to
have really representative government.  Camp Mabry is maybe 3 miles from where
I live.  I think I'll try to attend the meeting and see what comes up (as a
private citizen).

   Tomonaga

------

A long bow and a stong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.
The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
And a foreign king for a mark!

     --  Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra