ANST - Number of peers within the Kingdom

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Mon Oct 11 09:15:58 PDT 1999

Greetings, all:

Carl Chipman wrote:

> If we are counting "active" as "seen at an event", then ... [snip]

Maybe that's too broad. I was thinking along the lines of another organization I
belong to, that checks for "known" members in this way: everyone at the meeting
stands. The chairman vouches for those people he "knows" to be members. They, in
turn, vouch for the others they "know" to be members. As you are vouched for,
you sit down and may vouch for others. Anyone left standing wasn't vouched for
by anyone and should demonstrate their membership status in some other way.

If we can list all the Peers in the kingdom (as we've already done for the
Chivalry), it should be a relatively easy matter for us to severally and
collectively vouch for the active members. And here's where the process becomes
somewhat subjective: it's up to you, in your own best judgement, to say "yes, I
know this person to be actively participating in the SCA".

I personally don't think "being sighted at one event in the last year" counts as
"active", but as I wrote earlier, you have to draw the line somewhere. I would
NOT require a member of the Chivalry to have entered a list, or a member of the
Laurel to have competed, or a Pelican to have stewarded an event (for example)
in order to be counted "active". But I don't think that merely being "sighted"
is enough. It sounds like reporting sightings of Bigfoot.

Here's my definition of "active":
If, in your considered judgement, someone is somehow, some way, actively
participating in the SCA - whether it's competing, teaching, holding office, or
whatever - and has done so within the past year, then speak for that person.

As a "control", I would add that once you are vouched for, you may vouch for others.

What's *your* definition? :-)  <- [blatant invitation for more commentary]

Yours,
Michael Silverhands