Peerage Recognition (was RE: ANST - Lists of Peers, the next gene ration, or deep south 35, or voyageur...)

Zimmermann, Lenny zimmerml at kci1.com
Fri Oct 15 06:51:41 PDT 1999

Sir Galen wrote:

> Specific reason?  Well, what I said, as you quoted above, is
> very clearly labeled as opinion (that phrase "seems to me"
> should be a dead giveaway).

Forgive me for not being clearer. Of course it is your opinion of the
matter, and the reasoning I was looking for was simply your opinion and the
specifics of that opinion, since your final sentence was fairly generalized.
Thank you for responding with you more succinct explanation.

> I would think that one of the most important things we learn
> about the SCA is that the answer to "why is something done?"
> is usually found by asking "how did something come to pass?"

[history of peerage recognition snipped]

> There _are_ other organizations who _do_ offer peerages for nearly
> every pursuit.  But, no offense to friends like Ches and Little Conor,
> I don't think the SCA should aspire to be like Amtgard.

All I am familiar with about Amtgard is that they also tend to include
fantasy aspects in their events, and as such I feel we are looking at an
apples to oranges comparison. We are two completely different organizations
with completely different goals.

>  I just don't
> see that simple skill with siege weapons, or scouting, or equestrian
> games, or archery, or even rapier, is as important to the essence of
> what we do as is tournament combat.  Not to say there is no room in
> the SCA for these actives, on the contrary, we are enhanced by them,
> and people sincerely enjoy them.  Because peerage is more
> than courtesy
> and dignity, it is also achievement in combat, arts, or service.

I can see we will simply have to disagree on this. I certainly believe that
by enhancing our recreation of the stated goals of the SCA (education in
pre-17th Century European culture) that all of these activities do enhance
the SCA in a fundamental way. While there are Knights who are knowledgeable
in period fighting forms, armoring and the social ideals of their cultures,
those that do not only enhance the SCA if they've been hot enough with a
stick to win Crown Tournament, and thereby have the ability to make or
change law and stand as a figurehead in our recreation. Yes, rattan combat
is an integral part of our culture, but I'd have to disagree that it is THE
integral part of the stated purpose of the SCA. Maybe I'm just too
altruistic.

> So, just what makes peerage important, anyway?

Now that's a question for each individual to answer. I could just as easily
ask why Knighthood is important to you, or why the Pelican is important to
you? Have you noticed a change in attitude of how people treat and/or react
to you since you have become a Peer? For me, I believe Kazimir summed it up
nicely. There is a lot to be said for recognition in the group you are a
member of to be given the recognition and acceptance of a job well done by
those considered to be the most recognized of the ideals of that
organization. Of course it also makes it a job, since as a Peer you would be
expected to also continue forth to encourage others and to further the
ideals of the organization.

Perhaps such recognition means little to one who is already a Peer, but I
have noticed that twinkle in the eyes of others who would hope to aspire to
such a lofty goal, and the disappointment in the eyes of those who could
never achieve that goal in their chosen method of enhancing the SCA because
their field of endeavor is not recognized because we have so pigeon-holed
what things are supposedly productive to the SCA. But that is just MY
opinion of how the SCA should recognize it's members, to encourage those who
do further the goals of the organization in whatever way they do so.

Of course my thought would be to create only a single Peerage for that
recognition for all activities in the SCA, but that's just me.

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)
zarlor at acm.org