ANST - peerage ... let it be

Zimmermann, Lenny zimmerml at kci1.com
Fri Oct 15 08:48:48 PDT 1999

Wolf said:
> for those familiar with the boy scouts let me explain ... was a time when
you
> had to work *hard* for rank and show mastery of subject material merit
badges
> (reference: SCA) .. then it became watered down and simplified in an age
of
> "gotta make everyone happy and feel good".
>
> <stuff snipped>
>
> my take, if "merit badges" are that important to your well-being, there
are
> plenty of other options outside of SCA where such tokens can be easily
earned.
> note that these spin-off's were created for this very reason ...

> changing the core peerage structure to accomodate everyone should not be
an
> option.

While I can easily see and agree with your point, I would prefer to believe
that no one is suggesting a "lowering of the bar", as it were, to what we
expect to see from a Peer and what level of ability and maturity we expect
to see in a Peer. Instead I believe the suggestion is that the level of
quality should be maintained, but opened up to include those skills which
may otherwise be excluded. My take on it is that we are talking about people
who in all other ways would be a Laurel or a Knight or a Pelican, except
that they participate mainly in an activity that the members of those Orders
recognize. Someone who would be looked at by Peers who say to each other
"Yeah! They are, as a person, a Peer, but they don't belong in my Order
because they don't do the activities our Order is meant to recognize."

So I agree. No merit badges. Just recognition for those working *hard* for
their mastery, to paraphrasing what you said above.

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)
zarlor at acm.org