ANST - The infinite peer theory, part II

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 09:55:53 PDT 1999

Salut cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Baron Kazimir replies to Viscount Galen's -

> > This is a curious assertion, that every time someone takes the
> > field, no matter for what purpose, that sufficient expertise
> > should entitle that person to -- essentially -- knighthood?

- with:

>I personally do believe that their is a social compact between the SCA (in
>the person
>of the Kingdoms) and the membership that the best of what we can be (NOT
>just
>prowess, but personal bests.., fighting the good fight.., dedication and
>hard
>work...) will be recognized commensurately, and universally.., they should
>all be
>peers of each other.  The SCA, purporting to celebrate the Middle Ages as
>they should
>have been should contain no second class citizens.., and it is clear from
>the posting
>on the other list that there are a lot of folks out there who see some
>folks as
>distinctly second class.

I think you're confusing the SCA with the Declaration of Independence of the
United States of America.  I know of no such compact, nor do I agree that
our model should or can go so far as to ensure "no second class citizens."
The very nature of our recreation *assures* second class citizens.  You
can't create kings and queens, princes and princesses, barons and
baronesses, knights and dames, masters and mistresses, lords and ladies, and
a group of individuals %sans% titles and then claim to be a classless
society.

Besides, the creation of this proposed fourth peerage would create a
distinctly second class peerage.

Also, in response to Galen's -
> > To think that _every_ possible SCA activity should be able to
> > recognized by a peerage seems to me to be a fallacy.

- Kazimir says:

>I really disagree.  I just think it would (should?) be so easy..,
>conceptually, at
>least.  Like a never before seen art or science easy insertion into the
>Laurel.  If
>the Chiv were for any and all combat, like the Laurel is for any and all
>arts or
>sciences, and the Pelican for any service.., as long as they met the
>requisite
>level.., then nothing would really be left out..., and we probably wouldn't
>be having
>this discussion.

First, ease is not an issue.  It might be easy to do, but that's no reason
to do it.  It would probably be "easy" to rape quadriplegics.

Second, as to the idea of opening the Chivalry to other combat forms, do you
want *me* voting in your White Scarf circles?  I don't know anything about
what you do, nor do I have any real interest in it at this time.

Third, yes, something would still be left out.  The Laurel doesn't generally
recognize excellence in creating battle simulation materials.  Thus, no one
has a Laurel for producing outstanding rattan pole-weapons, basket hilts,
shields, combat archery blunts, and munitions-grade armor.  I doubt they
ever will.  Nor have we a peerage for outstanding persona play, even where
that persona play involves extensive research.  I know some folks who
demonstrate a degree of prowess at persona play I consider absolutely
astonishing, but they'll never get a peerage for it.

Finally, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion if the order of the
Pelican had not been created.  That event created the illusion of universal
recognition.

But it *is* an illusion.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace