ANST - what makes peerage mportant?

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Fri Oct 15 10:26:59 PDT 1999

Galen here...

<Mahee's very nice remarks about peers snipped>
>It does upset me to some exstent that some of the people I look up to are
>not considered equals with the others I look up to. And if you say that
>being a white scarf is equal recognition as being a knight, there is
>somebody out there who will remind any white scarf that they are not a peer.

It certainly isn't equal recognition, officially.  But as you
note, you (and surely many others) hold them in equal esteem.
This is worth something important.

But fencing is not universal in the SCA, one kingdom has never
allowed it, some kingdoms have only comparatively recently
allowed it, and several kingdoms have gone back and forth
in allowing it and banning it (such as the West and Meridies).
Nowhere is rapier combat done so well as in Ansteorra.  If you
grant these points, how can we ask for _universal_ honor for
an activity that isn't universal?  How do you legislate respect?

Canute couldn't tell the tide not to come in, and the BoD can't
do this, try though they may.  Peerage is for more than good
character.

>Why are peers important, we all need people to look up to and it helps to
>know who they are.
>
>humbly
>mahee
>
>ps. this is not ment as any form of flame, please do not take it as such.

Can't imagine taking such a polite post as a flame.
Thanks for taking the trouble to post.

- Galen