ANST - A Take on Peerage and Recognition from a Newbie

Aline Swynbrook alineswynbrook at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 14:54:26 PDT 1999

Okay, I am new.  And young.  Sadly, I am also
opinionated.  So here it goes.

I first heard of this Society through an article in
Renaissance Magazine.  In it was a brief blip about
common manners, and it went somethign like this:

"Treat thos of lesser rank as your equals, treat your
equals as your betters, and treat your betters with
all due reverence."

The below does no quite follow that decorum.
<snipped>
> > I'd like to add and elaborate here.   If they look
like a Peer, If
> > they act like a Peer, If they do whatever  they do
like a Peer,They
> > are a Peer, *whether or not the Crown EVER
recognizes them forit*!!>
> Oh, please -- I didn't wear my boots today.

You guys are adults.  Grow up.

During my sophomore year of high school, I served my
school as class treasurer.  I don't know what
possessed me, but I didn't realize how hard it would
be.

The entire year, I worked my rear off, pulling long
hours, picking up when others dropped, and often being
ignored during recognition.  In fact, I was left out
of the year book.

However, I would not trade that year for anything.  I
made life long friends, and they all know what I did.
I didn't do it for the credit or the title.  I did it
to get it done.

I don't do this for the possibility of gaining rank.
I don't know that I will be queen.  I do the things I
do, SCA and otherwise, for the sure love of doing it.
Loreena McKennitt once said that when she came to the
destination, it was the journey that mattered.  Enjoy
the time and the event.  Make friends.  Titles and
awards are perks, and half the time, if you do what
makes you happy, they will come anyways.

Constructive criticism can be shared on the list.
Please send me flamming privately, so I may douse it
with water, trash it, and block your address.

In Service to the Dream, and to the UHS Class of 2000
(Wall Champs),
Aline

=====
"Aveti Confidenza Al Vostro Cuore."(Trust You Heart.)Aline Swynbrook,
Daughter and Apprentice to Matthew Swynbrook,
Herb and Spice Merchant of Canterbury, in the year of Our Lord, 1486.