ANST - What is a Peer?

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Sat Oct 16 16:23:07 PDT 1999

Master Tadhg said some pretty negative things and he was wrong on some
but he was right on others. It does make a difference if you get a
peerage. When people who deserve a peerage do not get one and when people
who do not deserve a peerage get one a peerage a lot of bads things
happen. 1. People lose faith with the system.  They often lose hope and
leave.  They lose the dream.  2. They get confused on what is important
in the kingdom. When we make a peer we are making a role model and if
that model does something wrong people will still follow them . Or if
someone is doing something very right and they are not rewarded the
people tend to ignore the person and not follow their actions. 3. The
award is devaluated and all the people having the award suffer. They lose
prestige and power. 4. Sour grapes is one the reactions to unfairness."
Knighthood isn't that great anyway." When this happens the kingdom loses
a reinforcement tool. The kingdom loses power.  A culture is held
together by common norms and values awards and public recognition are the
only way we have to show and support those values and norms.