ANST - A Take on Peerage and Recognition from a Newbie

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Mon Oct 18 09:20:02 PDT 1999

> i am horrified at all of the underlying anger and
> bitterness that is demonstrated between individuals.
> i love being involved in SCA, but it's terribly
> alarming to see all the conflicts between people who
> have been here longer than i.  everyday when i check
> my mail i am shocked and i think to myself "do i
> really want to be around this?"

You know, I've been around awhile and have travelled
quite abit in my SCA career.  Where it may seem harsh
here at times, in many ways my new home here in
Ansteorra holds many more of the ideals that I've seen
go by the wayside in other areas.  There is a gentle
courtesy here that many other places in the Knowne
World has lost.  As long as people continue to decry
the rudeness, bad manners, or just plain surliness,
that will never change.  Just be on guard against
allowing them for the sake of expedience, or because
they are directed at someone you may not agree with.

After being involved a long time, you can loose track
of what is important in this group.  That is why it
is the new people who keep the rest of us in line.
Sometimes it's the comments like the ones above that
jolt us back into the reality of the situation.

People in the SCA can endure an awful amount of dis-
appointment and bad feelings over time.  Why do they
stick around?  For me it's that one time you see
that little light turn on behind someones eyes when
we actually "get it right".  You can endure alot of
heartache for that little light.

Petruccio