ANST - looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, but its green

Valentyn valentyn at home.com
Mon Oct 18 10:37:48 PDT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Zimmermann, Lenny <zimmerml at kci1.com>

> Valentyn wrote:
> > What makes you think they've "fallen through the cracks"?
> > Most of us chose
> > whether we wanted to fight heavy or light, devote ourselves
> > to A&S, or do
> > whatever it is that we do.  I knew from Day 1 (or at least 2
> > or 3) that I'd
> > never be King by fighting rapier...does that mean that Crown
> > Tourney should
> > be held as a rapier tournament every other reign, because
> > limiting it to
> > heavy
> > isn't fair to all the excellent rapier fighters?
> >
> > Not hardly.  It means that if you want to be King, you pick up rattan.
> > If you want the award, you change yourself to earn it.  Making an
> > award/title/station easier to get by altering the standards
> > detracts from
> > the award more than it adds to those who achieve it.
>
> Please do not suggest that those for are only in this for self
> aggrandizement. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the intentions
of
> those individuals trying to argue for righting what they perceive as a
wrong
> (even if it is a fairly minor one, in my opinion.)

I didn't remotely make that assertion, Lionardo.  The "you" in my post is a
general pronoun; I certainly didn't accuse the original writer nor anyone
else of "self-aggrandizement".  If you're going to guess wildly at what my
"underlying assumptions" are, we may as well not discuss the issue.

> Second is the assumption that adding that recognition for skill areas
other
> than those currently recognized would somehow detract or lower the current
> standards. I would ask did that happen when the Pelican was added as a
> Peerage Order? I don't believe any of us are suggesting that the bar be
> lowered, only that other skills be included as allowable for recognition.
Of
> course if you truly feel that adding unarmored combat to the skills
> recognized for Peerage (not necessarily Knighthood, mind you) would
somehow
> cheapen the current Peerage Orders, than that is a belief I can hardly
argue
> against, except as stated above that it has not appeared to be the case in
> the addition of our Service Order.

Adding recognition for a particular skill area doesn't necessarily lower the
current standard for a peerage, I agree.

However, adding a blanket anything-else peerage does, IMO.  Despite the
subjective nature of the criteria for becoming a Knight, Laurel, or Pelican,
a general picture of "what is a knight" does exist.  The proposed peerage of
scouting/shooting/fencing/camping/cooking/traveling/riding has little
coherency,
and few common standards.  The greatest trait they have in common is "we
don't do the other three things".  That's what I think detracts from the
existing
standard of peerages.

> Honos Servio,
> Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg