ANST - the rapier peerage

Russell Husted husted at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 12:58:32 PDT 1999

  > 3) Throughout most of the period in which unarmored
  rapier combat was practiced, knighthood was not offered
  for weapons mastery.  It would be inappropriate for me
  to be recognized for martial prowess.<

I do not feel this argument, as it is frequently understood, holds any
water, please take no offense and read on. Here is why:

If I were to walk onto the field and be the hotest stick in the SCA, should
I be made a knight? I do not believe so. My opinion of a knight would be
crushed if you told me that he was knighted because he is/was the hottest
stick in town.

So I agree that it is inapropriate to knight a person for JUST martial
prowess. I believe leadership was just one of the _many_ other qualities
that go into being a knight.

sincerely,
mahee