ANST - Anger and Biterness

C.L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Tue Oct 19 16:06:52 PDT 1999

Elena Fitzsimmons said:
>i am horrified at all of the underlying anger and
>bitterness that is demonstrated between individuals.
>i love being involved in SCA, but it's terribly
>alarming to see all the conflicts between people who
>have been here longer than i.  everyday when i check
>my mail i am shocked and i think to myself "do ireally want to >be around this?"

>this is simply something i've seen and wondered about.
>(it will probably make many people a tad miffed, but i
>hope it will cause us to see the repulsive power ofthis >bitterness.)

Don't let it scare you away.  Most people are perfectly chivalrous and genteel
in person.  The electronic medium allows people to get a little strident --
it's low risk and low investment of time and energy, so it's easy to pop off
a note before you think.

I have a tendency to be too sharp -- I have strong opinions, and I will passionately
defend them.  Over time, I've gotten to where I re-read things and sometimes
re-write replies lots of times before I post 'em to try and keep my responses
civil.  "Civil" doesn't mean that they don't have an edge, as well as a point,
but I do try to avoid gratuituous name-calling and do try to think about how
what I say will be received.

All that being said, sometimes I fail.  It is possible for something to hit
a hot button, or for me to get so mad about an issue that I can't hang onto
it long enough to self-censor.  And after I cool down I always wish that I had
done so.  This can happen to anyone, and like any other time that you walk around
with your ass showing, your friends will usually forgive you for it (eventually)
while also pointing out that you're wearing the Emperor's Clothes.

Tadhgh is just cranky.  I don't know why he's that way, as far as I'm aware
he always has been.  He obviously enjoys it.  So much so that I think it's probably
counter-productive to show that it annoys you.

Despite being a complete curmudgeon, he does occasionally make good points,
if you can wade through the vitriol and spleen to get at them.

::GUNNORA::