ANST - Suction as a Peerage Quality?

C.L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Tue Oct 19 16:17:25 PDT 1999

Tadhgh said:
>Unless, perhaps, one of the steps happens to be (not
>formally, but in practical terms) "suck up to
>Master/Mistress So-and-so" ... that step, I suggest, could
>be altered to the great improvement of the goal.

I'm fascinated, Tadhgh, in finding out just how this would work.  Let's see,
it was just last week that we saw actual numbers of active peers -- peers who
attend Circles and who vote on candidates.

So, in a Circle which has literally scores of members, how exactly is "suck
up to Master/Mistress So-and-so" a useful step in the path? On the other hand,
there is just one pair of folks on the throne, seems like the suction would
be better applied there, no?

Especially when you consider that even a 100% vote of the Circle does not ensure
that the candidate will get the peerage, if the Crown does not agree.

I guess I'm not understanding where you were going with that particular salvo,
unless you're somehow claiming that this is how you got your peerage -- which,
despite your appalling nastiness, I really don't think is so.  I'm pretty sure
you got your Pelican for service actually rendered.

::GUNNORA::