ANST - Thegns and Ban-thegns & Patents & Tigers & Bears, OH MY!

Trish McCurdy ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 16:33:46 PDT 1999

I was under the impression, however, that both a Court Barony and a
Thegn-dom conferred a GOA in Atenveldt.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, Thegn of One Thousand Eyes

No Gentle Sir, they dont.  The Thegn/Ban Thegn does carry a GOA, but the
Court Barony only does at the additional largess of the Crown.  I have given
them both ways both in Atenveldt and Caid.

In addition, someone out there mis-read me.  I have never, ever heard of a
Patent being given to a Court Baron, the only Patents ever given were to
Crown Baron's which in ancient Atenveldt was a title equal to Viscount.

I wanted to add a few things on the subject tho.....

Our Crown's in Ansteorra are expected to travel, to give everything they can
to make our Kingdom and each of our Dreams as special as they can be.

Why we would want to do less for them than we could is beyond me!

Do I think they should be given Patents.  Hell yes.

Do I think they should be as a result of a polling each reign.

Absolutely not.  I think pollings as Galen illustrated are nasty.

I think it should be automatically confirmed at the close of each reign
***with the exception of an outcry from the populace and peerage that was as
a result of a very bad reign.  I would reserve that place to protect and
defend the orders themselves.

Am I offended by the few who have written with differences of opinion, nope
not even :)...

I enjoy a good debate.  If the law and tradition were to be changed, I think
it would be for the far better, but if it remains the same, then I myself as
an individual would always seek to make sure that my Crown knew what they
meant to me and to my Dreams.

I have spoken with more than a few of the Royal's here, and I hope that
those of you who are curious about how they feel about not receiving a
Patent will ask others than have posted here.  Remember that those of us on
the list are but a cross section of people.  There are many without internet
access, and many who are silent lurkers on the list.

I feel that our Royals deserve and have earned every kindness and bit of
recognition that we can give them.  And that in itself is why I feel as
strongly on this subject as I do.

Larissa