ANST - BELTLESS PEERS

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Wed Oct 20 09:37:13 PDT 1999

<<<snippage>>>>

> At that time there were no
> proteges in
> Ansteorra.  People vehemently argued that you cannot teach
> service, therefor
> the idea of being a protege was rediculous.  Both Peers and
> Non-Peers were
> on both sides of the argument.

I have heard this arguement a great deal since I moved here.
Granted, you cannot teach someone to serve.  However, if they
were not already interested in serving why would you take
them as a Protege'?   I would not take someone as an Apprentice
who wasn't interested in Arts and Sciences.

I can however teach someone time manangement, leadership skills,
communication, and accounting.  Beyond that, a Pelican can teach
them the deportment of a Peer, conflict resolution, medieval
culture, the structure and framework of the Society and how to
work within it.  All of the things that Peerage and the Order
require besides working your butt off.  Sometimes those are the
hardest things to learn.

I think one of the "real" reasons for a lack of Protege's is
that it's okay to aspire to be a Knight, or a great Artist,
but by becoming a protege' people assume that you want to
become some type of "political animal".  That is simply
not the case and unfair to those who derive great pleasure in
serving humanity.

In light of the above, I think the entire "you can't
teach someone service" is a moot point as far as taking
Proteges.  There are a number of Pelican's who take
Proteges within this Kingdom now, so I guess we will
see if they are an asset to the Kingdom or not.

In Service,
   Petruccio