ANST - the infinite peerage and the rapier peerage

j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu
Wed Oct 20 18:54:36 PDT 1999

Sir Lyonel listed a number of reasons given by members of the rapier
community against a rapier peerage.  I have heard each of these arguments.
as for my thoughts on them:

1) As Dore said, a mass elevation of white scarves is impractical.  I
don't see this as an option.

2) Yes, there are different standards in different kingdoms, but this
would be something new.  New standards would evolve.  Perhaps the criteria
would be lessened on the existing orders and more demanding on the new
peerage.

3) The historical aspect has it's opponents but Tivar is not a lone voice
in the wilderness with this argument.  Personally, I feel that even if our
recognition structure isn't historically accurate, there's no need to make
it moreso by adding a rapier peerage.

4) Bad peerage behavior?  Every group has people that will lapse from the
high ideals that it is founded on.  No one is perfect.  SHould it
continue, the group should police it's own in one way or another.

5) Maturing throughout the kingdoms?  This one also carries some weight
with me.  As Dore pointed out, an art doesn't have to be universal for a
Laurel, but recognition of the arts and sciences (in general) is.  Just as
chivalric fighting and service is.

What does this boil down to for me?  I can't support a rapier peerage, nor
can I support this fourth peerage proposal.  I will say that there are
people I know who have the bearing of peers and the elusive peerage
qualities.  They are treated as equals by the existing peers, yet they
don't really fit into the existing orders.  These people are peers in act
and in spirit, if not in name.  It's an injustice not to recognize that.
There should be a way, but there's not.  Solution?  I don't have any
answers.  I wish I did.

Ansgar