ANST - Number of peers within the Kingdom

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Mon Oct 11 07:07:33 PDT 1999

Greetings from Michael Silverhands:

I've added to the list Sir Alexis La Bouche, one of the kingdom's most visible
equestrian knights, and one of the driving forces behind the Coastal Region's
war team. I would be hard pressed to name any Peer (of *any* flavor) who is more
active. I've also added Viscount Cian Conor MacQuaid, the Coastal Region's
deputy Earl Marshal and Stargate's Hospitaler; Master Daniel Blackaxe, whose
toast at ATYC was quite memorable; Duke Jonathan DeLaufyson Macebearer, who
fought in Ansteorra's 40th Crown Tourney; and Duke Sigmund the Wingfooted, who
gives at least two nights a week to the SCA (teaching rapier and chivalric
practice), attends selected events and has fought in most of the Gulf Wars.

You've seen Hildy recently? Please say "Hi from Michael and Neassa" for us. :-)

Active?  Knight
  y      Sir Aaron MacGregor
  y      Kahlid Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim
  y      Baron Alaric Drake
  y      Sir Alexis la Bouche
  y      Duchess Alisha MacLeod
  y      Sir Alrek Kanin
         Sir Andeleon of Axegarth
  y      HE Sir Arenvald Kief av Kiersted, Lion of
         Sir Arthur of the Fen
  y      Earl Barn Silveraxe
         Sir Balvin Thorfinsson
  y      Sir Burke Kyriell
         Duke Charles Inman MacMoore
    n    Sir Christian Richard Dupre
  y      Sir Cian Conor MacQuaid (Viscount of Drachenwald)
  y      Sir Conor mac Cinneide
         Sir Conrad of Castleton
  y      Sir Corwin von Xanten
  y      Sir Daffydd Whitaker
  y      Master Daniel Blackaxe
  y      Ritter Dieterich Kempenich von Eltz
         Graf Dinaris the Wanderer
         Sir Doran MacCullom, Viscount
         Countess Elzasif Ironhand ("Sif")
  y      Baron Emrys Shaunnon
  y      Count Finn Kelly O'Donnell
         Sir Fredrick von Sternwald
  y      Viscount Galen of Bristol
  y      Graf Galen Edwin Kirchenbauer
  y      Earl Gerard MacEanruig
  y      Sir Godwin of Edington
  y      Count Gunthar Jonsson
         Duke Hector Philip Martel
  y      Sir Henri le Hibou DuBois
  y      Sir Hildebrand Von Tiel
         Sir Ian MacBaird
         Hrabia Jan w Orzeldom
         Sir Jason MacPherson
  y      Duke Jean Richard Malcolmson
  y      Duke Jonathan DeLaufyson Macebearer
         Sir Jonathan MacNaughton
  y      Sir Karl der Gangr
  y      Duke Kein MacEwan
         Sir Lance de Courcey
         Sir Lasguaard Aglenar the Red Fox
         Duke Lloyd von Eaker
  y      Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
  y      Sir Maximillian Muhleisen
  y      Duke Mikael of Monmouthshire
         Sir Olaf of Kharkov
         Duke Patrick Michael Gordonne
  y      Baron Pendaran Glamorgan
         Viscount Randall von Nordlichwald
         Count Reynard the Brown
  y      Sir Rhodri ap Gwythyr
  y      Sir Richard ap Morgan
    n    Sir Robert Helmenstahl
         Duchess Rowan Beatrice von Kaempfer
         Sir Rurik Ivarsson
         Duke Seamus of the Cats
    n    Viscount Sean MacFlamm of Ravensward
  y      Duke Sigmund the Wingfooted
  y      Count Simonn of Amber Isle, the Baron Bordermarch
  y      Sir Sion Rhys of Badon
         Sir Tarl Mapt
         Baron Terans den Sjøfarende, OL
         Sir Thorgierr Gunnarsson
         Sir Thorkel Magnusson
  y      Sir Timotheos Kalamanos
  y      Sir Wilhelm Von Buch
  y      Hrabia William Miesko
  y      Sir William of Weir

Consolidating our lists, I count 41 "active" Knights vouched for by Sir Lyonel,
Mistress Meadhbh or myself. As Meadhbh put it: "not bad". :-)

Of course, I think we've included some Knights whose level of "activity" is
"they attended an event within the past year, but they didn't really do anything
other than show up". Ah, well; you've got to draw the line somewhere, and I
guess that's as good a place as any to draw it.

This discussion brings up an interesting point. By fiat, we seem to have defined
"active" as meaning "somebody can personally vouch to seeing this person
participating in the SCA within the past year". I've heard many suggestions for
a definition of "active", but that seems to be a pretty good one. It's certainly
objective, in any case. Comments, anyone?

Also, can we start such a list for the Pelicans and Laurels? Is there a
"directory" for them such as there is for the Chivalry? This process seems to
work pretty well: "Here's a list of names. Please vouch for people you know to
be active."

Yours,
Michael