ANST - Active Peers

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Mon Oct 11 09:26:18 PDT 1999

At 11:12 AM 10/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Everyone brace yourselves, Gunthar's getting soapboxy today.
>
>I've been reading about "active" Peers and I'm sorry but someone
>who shows up at an event and wanders around for a couple of hours
>is NOT an "active" Peer.  This type of classification is one reason so
>many non-Peers look to the belt or medallion as the end-all and be-all
>of getting the rank.
>
>Please forgive me, brothers, but I don't consider a member of the
>Chivalry
>who attends a 12th Night or even armors up for one tournament a year to
>be even remotely "active".  That's not what a Peer is.  A Peer is a
>leader,
>an example, someone who continues to pursue perfection and a person who
>serves the Kingdom in whatever capacity they are able.
>
>Duke Lloyd attended Steppes 12th Night, my Coronation, and Bjornsborg's
>last Investiture. Is he active? No, and he'll be the first to tell you.
>
>Peers are allowed to retire and take time off and only attend a couple
>of events.
>They don't have to take students, teach, travel or open their houses.
>But they
>should not be considered to be active if they don't.
>
>I think two or three events a year, minimum would be considered active.
>I think being an active teacher, participating in Circles, and being
>there for Crown
>and Kingdom are requirements for being considered active.
>
>Becoming a Peer is simply a beginning, not a peak. I will respect and
>happily greet
>a fellow Peer that I haven't seen. I will listen to their words in
>Circle. But if they
>only show up at one or two events and wander around or just drop by a
>group
>meeting I will not consider them active until they once again begin to
>consistantly
>engage in the activities of a Peer.  They are still Peers, just not
>"active" Peers.
>
>Yers,
>
>Gunthar

I would agree, I think that a three terms would be more accurate.

Active - seen regularly ate events around the Kingdom and/ or participates
in activates in their local area.
Semi-Active - seen occasionally at events or meeting - say less that five
times a year
Retired - not really active but might make a cameo at an event once or
twice a year.

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald, OP
Kingdom of Ansteorra