ANST - Archaeological Fishhooks

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Oct 11 14:01:00 PDT 1999

> Happy, Happy Monday to the List! (Wait, are some of you grumbling?) :)
>
> Marc?Diarmaid posted concerning metal fish hooks in the Middle Ages. I
> have a book at home I'll get and make available. It's a translation of a
> 15th century treatise on angling. You may be intersted, Diarmaid, in
> knowing that they were made from (I don't have the book with me,) a
> shoe-maker's needle (or something closely named) and worked with an
> anvil and forge. I was thinking of doing a Kingdom A&S entry on some
> period flies and I was thinking of contacting YOU to see how I could get
> some of the needles. I'll get the book and get back with you.
>
>    And now, we return you to a Happy, Happy Monndayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!
> Valstarr

Thanks for the info Valstarr. I'd be interested in more info on this
book. I'm not sure if it is the one I've seen mentioned before or not.

There is this small file in the ANIMALS section of my Florilegium that
might prove useful:
fishing-msg        (9K)  7/14/97    Medieval fishing. Fish ponds.

hmmm. Well in looking at it, I see it's got only one message. I'm not
sure that the referances mentioned in it will help in this situation but
perhaps you or others will find it useful. I have pasted it below.

There was a TI not too long ago that had an article on period fishing
by line. Perhaps that is where I heard of this 15th century treatise.
If you haven't check there if might be worth a look.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

-------