ANST - Lists of Peers, the next generation, or deep south 35, or voyageur...

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Fri Oct 15 08:37:39 PDT 1999

> Why? Is there a specific reason that only if you fight with rattan in
> tournaments you should be allowed to be a peer? Or only if
> you participate
> in what is currently being considered the "Arts & Sciences"
> by the current
> Laurelate? Or only if you provide the kinds of service currently being
> recognized by the Order of the Pelican? I know I can think of numerous
> individuals I would easily consider "Peers" who will never be
> recognized as
> such because they don't quite "fit" into one of the above
> categories because
> of whatever their "primary" activity is.

I believe that you will find that any documentable Art and Science is
considered by the Laurellate.  Just as any Service is considered by the
Pelicans.  Art is Art, Service is Service.  If you have specific
instances of difficulty in either of these areas, I would be more than
happy to address with my Brothers and Sisters.

> So even though such
> individuals
> could provide a truly positive culture and input into one of
> the Peerage
> Orders, they should not be considered because their main area
> of activity is
> not one that can be easily pigeonholed?

Proficiency within an area does not make a Peer.  That is what the
Kingdom level awards are for.  Proficiency within an area is merely
the starting point from which the Peerage stems.  Consequently, the
greatest swordsman in the world may never become a Knight.  The greatest
Artist may never become a Laurel.  The finest Administrator or Chamberlain
may never become a Pelican. Ideally, a Peer is that, plus all the other
facets that are required to make this organization function.

I would like to think that I could take a Peer, any Peer, and drop them
into the middle of a community with absolutely no understanding of the
Society at all.  From there, that Peer could not only instruct people in
their
area of expertise, but also explain to them the diversity of all the
other aspects of the Society.  They would also have the ability to
understand what it takes to put on an event, interface with the officer
corps, and consult with the Crown concerning the new members of their
populous.

Granted, your mileage may vary, and I by know means speak for my Brothers
and Sisters (especially since I have only recently arrived in this
Kingdom and am still woefully naive on it's traditions) but this is how
I tend to pick out Peer candidates.

1)  Have they achieved a level of proficiency in their chosen area
    equal or greater than those already with that Circle.

2)  Have they fulfilled the obligations for Peerage outlined in
    Corpora by the Imperial Compound  (okay--it's a blast from the past).

3)  Do the people around this person look to them for leadership?  Do
    they fulfill that need to the betterment of the individual, or use
    it as a way to elevate themselves in the eyes of others?

4)  Do I interface with this person on a Peerage level?  Having demon-
    strated ability in areas such that I am asking them for advise in
    an area or seek them for council?  Do they interface with people
    in a gracious manner that I believe a Peer should?  Can they
    approach other Peers with a problem, even a delicate one?  Can
    they likewise approach a Crown?

5)  Do they have a good heart.

I am certain that others have other guidelines.  This was basically the
way I was taught by an old player within the Society.  To me, they are
simple, straightforward, and encapsulate the basic qualities of a Peer.

>From this though, you can see that swinging a stick, creating a work of
art, or running and event is not all that a Peer is.  Many people see
only the main focus of each of the Circles and forget that there are more
to them besides being the Fighter, the Artist, the Good Civil Servant.
If there is someone you believe is overlooked, bring them to the attention
of a Peer.  If there is someone you believe should be a Peer and is not,
look at them and see if there is one of the above areas where they need
work.

The most difficult thing for any Peer to do is be approached by someone
(who is obviously a friend of the person in question) and be confronted
on why they are not a Peer.  Either a).  They have no idea who the person
is, or b).  They know who the person is and where they may have achieved
excellence in the focus of an area, but they are lacking in some of the
social or administrative skills.  They then have to couch their remarks
to this person's friend without sounding unkind or saying anything that
could be misconstrued.  --If you are going to approach a Peer about
someone, please be gentle, we are human also and rarely attend an event
without having a burden to carry--

The final line for me is this:
   If they look like a Peer, If they act like a Peer, If they do whatever
      they do like a Peer, They are a Peer.  It doesn't matter if they
      are a Painter, an Archer, a Rapier Fighter, or a Steward.

>From there, it's a matter of convincing my Brothers and Sisters and
the Crown.  When all is said and done, I believe that a Crown does
not create a Peer, a Crown recognizes one.

The key here is, where the Circle may advise and consult.  It is the Honor
and Duty of the Crown to elevate a Peer and no other.

May your herds be many, Your enemies asleep, Your mares swift,
  --but your stallions swifter  :)

Petruccio