ANST - What is a Peer?

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Sun Oct 17 09:28:20 PDT 1999

> > I'd like to add and elaborate here.   If they look like a Peer, If
> > they act like a Peer, If they do whatever  they do like a Peer, They
> > are a Peer, *whether or not the Crown EVER recognizes them for it*!!
>
> Oh, please -- I didn't wear my boots today.
>
> While this may be true in the Platonic Realm of Ideas, it is merely a
> popular myth in the Realm of Phenomena in which we live -- and popular
> chiefly among those who have been "recognized as peers"; nobody I've
> ever met who hasn't been "recognized as a peer" (whether they are a
> Platonic peer or not ... and I've known several) believes it for a
> minute. It's just a self-esteem Consolation Prize for those who don't
> happen to win in the Race For The Dangly. Let's leave this
> bromide with
> Santa and the Tooth Fairy where it belongs, and talk about reality.

Where I appreciate your opinion, it is your opinion.  As an example,
I belong to a Household in the SCA who's membership is greater than
some Kingdoms.  The reality of the situation is that the members of
this Household tend to shun awards because they believe excellence is
best gauged by the individual and not someone else.  If you were to
ask any of them who "have not been recognized as a peer" about the
above statement they would be more than happy to explain the truth of
it to you.  I also have cousins within another Household that believe
the same thing.  Since you have yet to meet anyone who believes
that way, I'd be more than happy to either introduce you at an event
or have e-mail correspondence sent you way so you might further your
realm of experience.

Where I am happy that you are well versed with your sphere of reality,
please do not be arrogant enough to conclude that it encompasses
all reality--Tooth Fairy or not.

Petruccio