ANST - A Take on Peerage and Recognition from a Newbie

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Oct 18 10:01:54 PDT 1999

Galen here...

Alicia Ward wrote:

> Absolutely!
>
> I know what you are saying about being new and young,
> but i guess *sadly* i wasn't opinionated enough to say
> the same thing you did.

Well, welcome to the dialog!

> i am horrified at all of the underlying anger and
> bitterness that is demonstrated between individuals.

I fear you may be reading too much between the lines.
Both Lord Lionardo and Baron Kazimir are aware of my
great respect for them, and I have certainly detected
no hint of disrepectful treatment of me from them.
Likewise, Sir Lyonel is a passionate debater, and
though he will sometimes come up with the occasional
shocking example to use for contrast, speaks far more
from his head than from his baser impulses.

The debate at issue is whether (and how) to fundamentally
alter the most basic and universal institutions within
the SCA.  You'll notice that, while the peers in this
debate are opposed to the change, no one has said that
only peers are entitled to opinions on the matter.
This is because these issues touch everyone who really
cares about the SCA, no matter their level of experience
or achievement.

> i love being involved in SCA, but it's terribly
> alarming to see all the conflicts between people who
> have been here longer than i.  everyday when i check
> my mail i am shocked and i think to myself "do i
> really want to be around this?"

Please remember, most of us in the debate so far
hit each other with sticks for fun.  We bruise each
other on purpose and we laugh about it afterwards
together.  We don't shy away from confrontations, and
we don't expect our opponents to do so either.  And
we don't let the fervor of our opposition undermine
our respect or affection for our opponents.

Finally, let me quote from a private note I just
received from Lionardo:

> You wrote:
> > OK, so we're both frustrated.  I hope the rest of the list
> > isn't too bored with this dialog.
>
> I'm afraid they may be, so I've decided it might be better to drag this to
> private email. I'll tell you, though, I'm rather enjoying the discussion!

So for those interested to see the rest of our debate
on the list, Lionardo has taken it private for fear
of boring the other 200 of you, and you should write
to us if you want to see the rest of the debate in
your mailbox.

> this is simply something i've seen and wondered about.
> (it will probably make many people a tad miffed, but i
> hope it will cause us to see the repulsive power of
> this bitterness.)

I'm not miffed; not even a tad.  But I hope you're a bit
reassured.

> Elena Fitzsimmons

- Galen of Bristol
Viscount, Knight, Pelican, etc.