ANST - Level II Banishment?

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Oct 18 10:56:35 PDT 1999

Galen here...

Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Paul Mitchell wrote:
> >  As I have phrased it in the
> > past, it's, "be careful how you treat the ladies, you never know which
> > one will be Queen next."
> >
> > - Galen of Bristol
>
> While knowing Galen, I don't think he meant it this way but this phrase
> could be taken to mean that you don't need to worry about being careful
> in your treatment of the lords unless they are a knight or an up-and-coming
> crown possiblity.

That's right Stephan, I didn't mean one needn't be careful in treating
everyone courteously.  But our last Crown Tourney saw two Dukes, an Earl
and a Viscount fighting for ladies they haven't ruled with before.  The
Dukes were fighting for ladies with whom they have other-than-romantic
relationships.

While we are courteous to everyone on principle, and always try to be
more so (no one is ever "courteous enough"), there is a practical issue
to discovering that the lady you treated less-than-courteously last
year has since become the girlfriend of the hot-stick squire who's now
tearing up the tourney fields.  Or just happens to simply be friends
with a Duke whose lady wife isn't interested to be Queen again yet.

Shortly after I first coined the phrase above, Inman won his forth crown
tourney for the late Drusilla of Northumbria, who few people had
previously
heard of.  She was a very successfull and popular queen, whose death
last
year was keenly felt by many of us.  Point is, nobody had heard of
Drusilla,
and here she was in a position to veto anyone's next award.

I was in this position myself not too long ago.  When I last attended
Squires'
Invitational, I had an argument, one of the least pleasant in my memory,
with
the lady who was running the heraldry test.  Six months later, she was
HRH
Princess Gladwyn.  Of course, Countess Gladwyn is a lady of far too much
class to remember such an occasion, which is only my good luck, and not
an
excuse for my bad behavior.

> Kinda fits in with all this argument about opening Knighting to non-rattan
> fighters or non-fighters. :-(

No, I think being courteous to someone and elevating them to the peerage
are two very different things.  ("The Queen said 'please' and 'thank
you'
to me!  I'm getting my Pelican tonight!")

> I hope we aren't getting selective in the courtesy we extend to others
> in our Society.

I don't think that's happening.  Do you really think it is?

> Stefan li Rous

- Galen of Bristol