ANST - Another peerage; was "looks, walks and quacks..."

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Sun Oct 17 22:06:00 PDT 1999

> Valentyn stated:
> Adding recognition for a particular skill area doesn't necessarily lower the
> current standard for a peerage, I agree.
> However, adding a blanket anything-else peerage does, IMO.

I've been following this discussion with some interest (on several
different lists) and I have to say that I agree with this statement.

It is already easy enough to argue that service to the marshallate
falls under martial skills, or cooking feasts is more of a service or
painting charters is really more of an art.  I think another peerage
for "miscellaneous" would become an easy "dumping ground" of sorts
for individuals that would eventually make it into one (or more) of
the other three existing orders.

If the new peerage proposed is only for "martial" activities not
currently recognized by any of the peerages presently in place,
then I'd like to submit the following just for the sake of general
knowledge:

Both Caid and the Midrealm have laurels for horsemanship.
The West has laurels for falconry and siege weapon construction.
I'm also told that the East Kingdom has Archery Laurels & Pelicans,
Fencing Pelicans & Equestrian Pelicans.

In Artemesia (formerly Atenveldt - our mother kingdom), they have
considered war combat prowess when looking at a candidate for the
Chivalry.  In fact, I'm told they have knighted those who are better
at war combat than tournament.

Disclaimer: These are by no means to be considered comprehensive
lists.  They only reflect specific instances I happen to be aware of.
Also, it is my understanding that the above-mentioned laurels have
done scholarly work (i.e. research) in their field which contributed
greatly to their elevation to that order.

Also, not to add another topic, but just FYI, many kingdoms bestow a
Patent (aka Royal Peerage) upon those who sit the throne when they
step down (making the proposal for a *5th* peerage, not a 4th).
Ansteorra does not do this.

Wiesenfeuer