ANST - a Take from a Newbie

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Tue Oct 19 09:53:55 PDT 1999

uriel wrote:
Alicia Ward wrote:

> i am horrified at all of the underlying anger and
> bitterness that is demonstrated between individuals.
> i love being involved in SCA, but it's terribly
> alarming to see all the conflicts between people who
> have been here longer than i.  everyday when i check
> my mail i am shocked and i think to myself "do i
> really want to be around this?"

Parts of the SCA are unfair, imbalanced, poorly put together or just
plain broken. That makes people angry, especially when one person's
"broken" is another person's "I don't see a problem". However, we are
only human and we can expect our institutions to be flawed. We can also
expect people to struggle to fix them and some feelings to get bruised.
However, consider that these people would not bother to make the effort
if they did not care about the SCA.

The SCA has a lot of very good things to offer. If you personally do not
care about a particular issue, skip those posts and arguments. Instead,
concentrate on the good things of the SCA or on working for things you
do care about.

The only world that will be free from conflict and struggle is one with
no people in it.

Don Christian Dore