ANST - Precendence (was : Patent of Arms)

Timothy Rayburn timothy_of_glastonbury at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 12:39:23 PDT 1999

--- Genevieve de Courtanvaux <gdc at airmail.net> wrote:
> I wrote to Countess Margaret because I knew she had recieved a Patent
> of
> Arms when she stepped down in the Kingdom of the East and this is the
> reply
> that I recieved. This may or may not help you in how a recieving a
> Patent of
> Arms works.
>
> Countess Margaret says:

<snip>

> Technically, a patent-holding Countess would outrank a
> non-patent-holding Countess (or maybe even a non-patent-holding
> Duchess?) no
> matter when either lady become a Countess, but in all practicality,
> it
> doesn't really matter.  You get the respect you have earned, and I
> really
> don't know of anyone who minds terribly if someone else gets to
> process in
> order of precedence before them!  :-)

With due respect to Her Excellency, I must disagree here.  In
Ansteorra, and I do not claim to know if this is true throughout the
Knowne World, a person's precedence is taken from their Highest Award
and the Date they recieved that highest award.

Since Letters Patent (naked or otherwise) rank lower than a Duchy or a
County, the date of the Duchy or the County would be taken.  As such,
even if you've been a peer since AS 2, if you did not step down as
Crown (the first time) until 1/14/99, then the lady who still has
nothing more than an AOA and her County & Rose, but stepped down from
the throne on 1/13/98 ranks higher in precendence than you.

Again, to be clear, this is how it works within the Kingdom of
Ansteorra.  It may well be that Her Excellency was refering to how it
worked in the East, which I have no knowledge of.

Honor Super Gloria,

Timothy of Glastonbury
Deputy Herald