ANST - Precendence (was : Patent of Arms)

Trish McCurdy ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 12:55:31 PDT 1999

*sigh*

The letters Patent is what makes it a Peerage.

A Court Barony carries no rank of it's own.  With it the receipient can wear
a coronet and have a title, but they are not a Peer.  The Patent gives your
Royalty a defining line.

This is one of the reasons several other Kingdom's developed an alernate
title for former Landed nobles, an example of that is a Thegn and Ban Thegn,
which carries a GOA to give it rank and presedence.  (That's why my other
half is a Thegn)

I would suggest to those interested in the subject that they do a bit of
research into Corpora and the way the Peerages are structured.

I would also like to point out that your Founding Crowns, Jonathan and
Willow, received a Patent of arms from their first reign in Atenveldt as the
Crown there.

Since they are the Crown who set up the presedence here of not giving the
Patent, perhaps Their Graces would share with the list why that initial
decision was made so that we all have a historical basis for our debates on
the list.

If you do the math, the older Kingdom's are granting Patents.  I am very
interested to know where the tradition took a curve.

I look at people like Valeria, Alisha, Sara and the other wonderful Royal
Peers I have come to love in this Kingdom, and I truly believe in my heart
that they deserve the courtesy of a Patent of Arms.

Larissa