ANST - the rapier peerage

CADET1313 at aol.com CADET1313 at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 14:45:08 PDT 1999

It was written that:

<<  > 3) Throughout most of the period in which unarmored
   rapier combat was practiced, knighthood was not offered
   for weapons mastery.  It would be inappropriate for me
   to be recognized for martial prowess.<

True, I have to admit that the use of the rapier in my (1575) period was not
the reason why people were knighted. They were knighted for service to the
crown and as favors, along with their skill in planning of war, commanding
ships that stopped invasion from enemies and leadership in those wars that
they planned attacks for. Unlike the Knights of earlier periods that were
knighted for the amount of unarmored peasants they killed in battle so their
king could sit on the throne.

Ld Pieter Rausch