ANST - "It's Not Period"

C.L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Thu Oct 21 07:39:56 PDT 1999

Don Kazimir said:
>I have noted that resistance to even the idea of peerage for
>martial prowess outside of armored combat can almost be summed
>up with the phrase "that's not how it was."

This was also the rallying cry when people were trying to prevent women from
fighting.  It continues to be the rallying cry against same-sex consorts.

The only way to get around this particular objection is research.  By the way,
Kaz, I know you do good research.  You ought to publish it in Tournaments Illuminated
where more people can see it.

Educate and you may force a paradigm change.  Overcoming status quo inertia
is another issue altogether.

I tend to think that we don't need a 4th peerage, because I think that the folks
we've been discussing for such a peerage all can adequately be covered with
the Laurel and the Pelican.  I can't see how one could have the nevcessary peerage
requirements as set out in Corpora, as well as peerage-level athletic abilities
amply displayed, without being a Laurel or Pelican candidate as well.  It's
not a status quo thing for me, certainly, because I wouldn't mind if a 4th peerage
were created -- I just think we've got it covered adequately already.

::GUNNORA::