ANST - Having a Knight Speak For You?

C.L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Tue Oct 26 08:40:54 PDT 1999

Michael Silverhands pointed out:
>In Ansteorra, you don't have to be a member of the Chivalry,
>you must simply be spoken for by one in order to enter
>the Crown list.

Hmm.  I've been wondering about this.

First, *why* does a knight have to speak for you?

Are they certifying that you are safe?  Isn't that the marshallate's job, and
doesn't the fighter authorization take care of that?

Are they certifying that you have the leadership qualities needed to be Crown?
If so, then the law needs to be changed so that *any* peer can speak for you
in this regard.  After all, a peer is a peer is a peer, right?  When we processed
in at Crown Tourney, I was ranked with the knights as a peer, based on date
of elevation.

I didn't have a knight speak for me at Crown, unless  that was taken care of
when I wasn't looking (say, during the Belted Circle).  But I'd think that any
peer should be able to fight, and any peer should be able to speak for a non-peer
combatant to enter Crown Lists.

So, my brother and sister peers of the martial orders, what's up with this rule?

::GUNNORA::