ANST - "After all, a peer is a peer is a peer, right?"

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Oct 26 09:43:11 PDT 1999

Galen here...

Mistress Gunnora remarked in passing,
>After all, a peer is a peer is a peer, right?

I do not believe that this was the original intent
of those who first conceived the peerages.  Nor
do I believe this to be the perception of most peers.
Nor do I believe that it is the way that most of the
populace looks at things.

I think we all expect different things of knights,
laurels, and pelicans.  I think that's a Good Thing.

I am a Companion of two peerage orders, the Order
of Knighthood, and the Order of the Pelican.  I
perceive them differently.  I do not think it too
impertinent of me if I admit that I can conceive
that I may someday be worthy to be made a Master of
the Laurel as well (when my bardcraft and chainmail
have improved from where they are to where I would
like them to be).  I feel sure that the Laurel would
also be a different thing from the other two.

Each order has a different makeup, different history,
different traditions, different problems, and different
solutions.  While their core set of qualifications
are the same, each order has very different specialities,
and attracts very different types of people.

If it were true that "a peer is a peer is a peer",
no laurel would ever bother to seek to be worthy
of knighthood, because being a laurel is just the
same.  But I've known no fewer than four laurels
who also served as squires, and sought after
knighthood; one of these was my squire, Sir Conor
mac Cinneide, ML; the others were Master Cynric,
who remained Sir Ricardo's squire for a time after
being made a laurel, as did Mistress Aeruin, and
Mistress Stella was recently squired to Sir Barn.
I know at least one other Laurel, Mistress Xene,
who is a protege, to Master Bran.  I believe Master
Richard is still an apprentice to Mistress Rhiannon.
In Meridies, Sir Francois was a protege 20 years
after being knighted.  He received his Pelican
at the last Gulf War.  I know of several people
who hold more than one associate's belt, such as
Lady Aeruin in Bryn Gwlad, who is Mistress AEthelyan's
protege and also Mistress Rhiannon's apprentice.
These are all clearly people who see the different
peerage orders as different achievements.

- Galen of Bristol