ANST - Another danger of Tiki Torches

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Fri Oct 29 15:02:59 PDT 1999

On 29 Oct 99, at 9:29, gptaylor wrote:

>..  Many, if not all, of the plastic-bottled tikis have been recalled.  Don't
> use them.

not to mention that due to the incidents that spurred the recall, many
manufacturers no longer make them and many vendors will no longer sell them due
to the legal liabilty.  noted than what are now avaialble are usually cheaper
made foreign imports much more prone to cause problems..

> ... They can explode (not a huge explosion...but quite scary, from what I've
> heard).

have seen one go up thsi year (with a minor burn injury ...) .. not so much a
explosion, as a sudden and unexpected "flare-up" that spilled burning fuel
around the base .... the danger here is if ground cover catches or there is
fabric nearby that becomes a fuel-saturated wick ... lamp oil / kerosene is not
overly volitile, but it is "clinging" fuel that can quickly saturate fabric
causing it to spread the fire.

use a portable kerosene heater here at house and am always *very* careful with
it and it's fuel and keep extinguishers close to hand.

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)