ANST - Seeking the Lions of Ansteorra

Susan Bowen bbowen at ev1.net
Fri Oct 29 16:37:26 PDT 1999

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> opinion & a bit of humour follow ... do not pass if too easily offended ....
>
> the dreaded *p-word* surfaces ...
>
> Wolf, this seems to be a"hot button" for you.  You generally jump more softly on
> the heads of those you speak with.  ( At least those heads still attached to their
> bodies- see other thread :-) )  I don't think we are talking mental illness here,
> just focusing & combining study & play.  Sort of like the "heads-up" discussion
> that came from Gunther's comment.
>
> > Hopefully, these rather hefty-sounding discussion areas will also bring out the
> > simplicities of life.  ...  attitude toward superiors/inferiors,
>
> round table discussion have merit and a lot could be learned from soem of the
> concepts mentioned, but one jumps off the page like a beacon ... thsi
> superior/inferior thing is a concept that send chills up my spine eveytime i
> hear it (in the SCA or elsewhere)  ...
>
> I recall a knight, now long gone out of kingdom, who enjoyed playing this aspect of
> personna.  It made me wish that we could recall the vote on him.  I don't think
> any/many of us saw it coming.  He pissed off nearly everyone before he left.

   On the other hand, an understanding of how people deal with the world is helpful
in what forms we choose to use in our interactions with each other.  I'm not at all
worried that these folks are going to hurt others with what they learn, especially if
the ideals that started this thing are kept in mind.  Remember- throughout most of
the time we use, everyone had a place and a lord/lady. One of the biggest perceived
dangers was "masterless men."

William of Weir