ANST - strange craziness in the texas legislature

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Sun Sep 26 10:38:53 PDT 1999

>A friend mailed this to me.  Does anyone know if it's for real?  I thought
>the law always read something like this.
>Any info is appreciated.

It is not as yet posted to the Texas Penal Code website
http://capitol.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/petoc.html.

But since this discussion has come up, perhaps the native Ansteorrans could
answer how the laws on knives/swords work here.

The Penal code defines illegal knives as:
>Texas Penal Code 46.01 - Definitions
>6."Illegal knife" means a:
>         A.knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
>         B.hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
>         C.dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and
> poniard;
>         D.bowie knife;
>         E.sword; or
>         F.spear.

In my SCA gear resides a double-edge knife, shorter than the legal 5 1/2
inches. How does Texas define a "dagger"? Is it any double-edge knife???

An "Illegal knife" seems to be legal to own, just not carry around:
>Texas Penal Code 46.02 - Unlawful Carrying Weapons
>    a.A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or
> recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
>    b.Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section
> is a Class A misdemeanor.
>    c.An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the
> offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this
> state for the sale of
>      alcoholic beverages.

Does "on or about his person" include carrying in your vehicle? Or can you
only keep them in a display case at home?

My presumption is as long as you are not doing something stupid, you're not
going to be cited for any of these laws.

Curiously,
Galen